Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DAY #75: John 15:9-12

BACKGROUND:

A believer is motivated by the wonder of Jesus’ love, which is patterned after the Father’s love in its quality and extent. Remain in My love might seem to be mystical but Jesus makes it very concrete. Obedience to the Father’s commands is the same for a disciple as it was for the Son . Active dependence and loving obedience are the proper paths for all of God’s children.


The result of dependence and obedience? Jesus had great joy in pleasing His Father by living a fruitful life. The purpose of His teaching is to give man an abundant life, not a joyless existence (John 10:10). The commands for His disciples to obey are for their joy.


One primary command was given by Jesus to believers: they must have mutual love. Christians grow by caring for and nurturing each other. The standard for that love is Christ’s example of humble sacrificial service: as I have loved you.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Watchmen Nee, the great disciple of Hudson Taylor – the first inland missionary to China said – “anyone who seeks to live for Jesus Christ will soon discover that the greatest hindrance he faces is not others, but himself.” How many of you can identify with that statement?

The greatest roadblock to living the Christian life is us. In my life, it’s me. In your life, it’s you.
Listen to Galatians 5:24, our first key verse this morning “Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.” The problem is our sinful nature, and it’s passions and desires. Everyday of our lives, there is a war that is being waged in my life.

The Apostle Paul talked about the sinful nature and what it looked like – listen to Galatians 5:19-21 -“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.”

Does that sound familiar? You bet it does, it sounds like our lives. Folks, everyday we are faced with spiritual warfare – it is a battle for control and power. And what’s the battle about? Who will be in charge of my life today. Who will be in charge of a specific moment of time in my life? Me or God?

Folks, those acts of the sinful nature that I read about are normal behaviors for unbelievers in their course of life, but are abnormal in the lives of Christians, who live in the Spirit. A Christian can walk in the Spirit and avoid them all, or he can give in to the flesh and fall victim to any of them.

Listen to what Paul says about this struggle, this warfare; “Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time. It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?” Romans 7:18-24 (MB)

If we are going to win this battle in our lives against that old sin nature that wages war against us, we have to be connected to the vine. We have to remain in relationship with him. And when we do, listen to the results.

Galatians 5:22-25 (LB) – “But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control; If we are living now by the Holy Spirit's power, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives.”

The fruit of the Spirit is the outward indicator of salvation. Jesus said. “You will know [men] by their fruits,” Matthew 7:16–18 says, “Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor figs from thistles, are they? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit; but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit”


I encourage you to evaluate yourselves this morning – how are you doing when it comes to producing good, righteous fruit in your life?? (I already have done this today - the results weren't so pretty) 1- one - means you losing the battle. 10 ten - means you're living the Spirit Filled life. Today, relinquish control. Moment by moment be empowered by God's Holy Spirit. Bear fruit.
I love you guys. Stay faithful. Stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment