Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day #35: James 1:19-21


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Do you have a short temper? Can one little thing send you off the deep end? Maybe your not hot-headed but all of us have some sort of issues with anger. James gives us great wisdom on how we should respond.

James 1:19
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;

I know that when I get into an argument, I can stop listening to what the other person has to say. I always have to be right, no matter what the other person is saying. This verse puts a burden on my heart. Am I going to obey Scripture and change how I react?

The next challenge is even harder. Are you quick to listen? How many times have you blurted out a response and wished you could take it all back. We can get ourselves into more trouble when we speak without thinking. God says take a step back, listen and respond with wisdom all the while not becoming angry. Listen to what the Apostle Paul wrote about anger.

Ephesians 4:26
Be angry and do not sin;

Did Paul just tell us to be angry? Yes, but in our anger we cannot sin. That is a tall order. The anger that Paul is speaking about is a righteous anger. It is when we get angry at the things that grieve our Father’s heart. Almost all of our angry is in the flesh, in the moment and not honoring to God. We read in James 1:20 that the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God! The next time you feel your fuse starting to be lit, remember God’s Word, more specifically, remember James 1:19.

James then sets the bar even higher. He is not only talking about our anger but every moral filth and wickedness that is within us. James encourages us to get into God’s Word! Humbly receive Scripture into your life. It will change you thoughts, attitude and your heart. God’s Word will change your life!

Make it happen!
-Pastor Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment