Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day #140: Malachi 3:8-12



BACKGROUND:

Bluntly stated, Israel was accused of being a thief. Thievery against people was bad enough, but only a fool would try to rob God. Yet this was the charge against Israel.

What was the exact sin? Failure to Give Tithes and Offerings. The nation, God answered, was robbing God by not bringing tithes and offerings. The tithe was literally a 10th of all produce and livestock which the people possessed (Lev. 27:30-32). A tithe was to be given to the Levites who in turn were to give a tithe of the tithe to the priests (Num. 18:21-32). The Israelites were also to bring a tithe of their produce and animals and eat it with the Levites before the Lord in Jerusalem as an act of festal worship (Deut. 12:5-18; 14:22-26).

Also every third year a tithe was to be stored up in the towns for Levites, strangers, widows, and orphans (Deut. 14:27-29). If the Levites and priests would not receive the tithes and offerings, they would have to turn to other means of supporting themselves. As a result, the temple ministry would suffer.

Since the temple was God’s house (v. 10), failure to support its ministry was considered equal to robbing God Himself. The nature of the curse on the nation can be determined from verse 11: famine due to pests (locusts) eating the vegetation, and vines without grapes (Deut. 28:38-40).

This promise was a reaffirmation of the obedience-blessing relationship specified in the Mosaic Law (Deut. 28:1-14). What the people were experiencing was the disobedience-curse arrangement also given in that covenant (Deut. 28:15-68). This covenant was a gracious provision for Israel. No other nation had such promises from God. Since the Word of God is sure, God’s part of the covenant arrangement would definitely be carried out. Israel could attest to this because she was experiencing certain curses in return for her disobedience to God’s Law about the tithe. The Lord then appealed to His covenant promises in challenging Israel to bring the whole tithe into the storehouse so there would be adequate food for the priests.

“Storehouse” refers to a special room or rooms in the temple for keeping tithed grain (1 Kings 7:51; Neh. 10:38; 13:12). By doing this, the people would see that God would open heaven’s floodgates and pour out blessing on them. These blessings would include agricultural prosperity—good crops not destroyed by pests, and undamaged vines (Mal. 3:11)—and a good reputation among all the nations (v. 12). These blessings simply awaited their obedience.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

Luke 6:38 says, "Give and it will be given to you. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you." For a long time I wanted to believe that verse but it just seemed to good to be true. I wanted to believe it and I kept asking myself how exactly does God give back to me. When I give to others how does God give back to me? But first, I want to ask you – what has giving done for you?


#1. GIVING MAKES ME MORE LIKE GOD
God's a giver. Everything we have is a gift from God. When I give, I'm like God. John 3:16 – "God so loved the world that He gave..." You can give without loving but you cannot love without giving. It makes you more like God.

#2. GIVING DRAWS ME CLOSER TO GOD
Matthew 6:21 says, "Where your treasure is, there your heart is also." Wherever I put my money that's where my heart is. If I put my money into entertainment, that's where my heart is. If I put my money into my house, that's where my heart is. If I money into my car, that's where my heart is. In our family, we happen to put our money into eating out as you've noticed. Where you put your money is where your heart is. If you put your money with the Lord, it always draws you closer to God.

#3. GIVING IS THE ANTIDOTE TO MATERIALISM
I shared this principle several years ago at COV, and one of the guys at our Saturday morning men’s bible study recently shared that this principles was key in his spiritual; growth. So, I decided it was time to share it again. Folks, you know that we live in a very materialistic culture. Advertisers are not even subtle any more. They just come out and say it straight out, "You can buy happiness." That's America! Life, liberty, and the purchase of happiness.

1 Timothy 6:17-18 says, "Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to be generous and willing to share In this way they may take hold of the life that is truly Life!"

First it says, "Command those who are rich..." That's all of us. If you live in America, you're rich. You could be the poorest American, but you're richer than the rest of the world. He says it's OK to enjoy life but true living comes from giving. We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give.

I think as parents we need to model a balance of giving and getting. If people are always getting and getting what are our kids learning? Only to get. We need to model giving to our children. It's the antidote I know to materialism. It's the only antidote to getting, getting, getting is to give, give, give. It makes me more like God. It draws me closer to God. It's the antidote to materialism.

#4. GIVING STRENGTHENS MY FAITH
God uses finances to test your faith. Some of you are living proof of that. Have you ever had to decide between paying a bill and tithing? You only have so much money so where is it going to go? This is a test. God's saying, "Do you really believe that I can take care of your bills? Or do you think you have to take care of them on your own?" He's saying, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, test me in this, says the Lord. See if I won't throw open the floodgates of heaven and poor out so much blessing you won't have room enough for it."

God says, I dare you. I dare you to see if you become a giving, generous person, you tithe all the time, see what happens to your life. There are more promises in the Bible regarding giving than any other thing. God talks more about giving and promises more about giving than any other thing. Jesus talked more about giving than He did about heaven or hell. It's the essence of the Christian life --"God so loved the world that he gave..." Giving gives God the chance to do a miracle. So my giving strengthens and stretches and tests my faith

Let me ask you, would you like to be more like God? Would you like to be closer to God? You say, "I feel far away from Him. I'd like to be closer." Would you like to have the antidote to materialism? Would you like to have your faith strengthened? Do you want those things? They will happen when you start obeying God in the area of giving. Let me tell you how to begin.

First, 2 Corinthians says, 8:5 says, "...THEY FIRST GAVE THEMSELVES TO THE LORD..." Have you done that yet? Have you given your life and heart and mind to God? Have you given Him your marriage? Your finances? Your children? Your career? Your home? Have you given God your life? Do that right now…..

Second, 1 Corinthians 16:2 from the LB says this, "On the first day of every week [Sunday] set aside some of what you have earned and give it as an offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn."

Why is it important to give weekly? He wants it to be a weekly reminder of who's first place in your life. When you give the first part of your money on the first day of every new week, it is a reminder that says, "God, You're really number one." I may say God's number one in my life, I may say I'm seeking first His kingdom, but if I'm not giving Him the first part of my money and not giving it the first day of every week, how can I say He's first? It's a reminder.

Some of you have asked me in the past - How much should you give? What’s this verse say? This verse says – “The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you to earn." What you give should be based on what you make. If the Lord didn't help you to earn anything this last week, then you shouldn't give anything this last week. But in proportion to what you're earning, God says as an offering, as a reminder -- gratitude for the past, priorities right in the present, and expectation for the future -- I'm to give.

Let me close today with these thoughts. Some of you maybe thinking the pastors writing on giving because the church is hurting. Well, that’s not the case. We are down about 6% to budget, but we are keeping our spending in check. You guys have been amazingly generous and faithful with your giving. But, let me ask you to think about some expenses coming up. Our student Ministries summer camp and our Children's Ministry Vacation Bible School. We are in need of scholarship assistance for sevral kids. Would you pray about what God might have you do to help here?

Second thought. I’m not asking you to do what my family is not. We are a tithing family. We actually tithe more than 10%. The truth is our giving is an open book. I would share what amount we give, but my sense is that some folks might find that awkward. But, if you'd like to know what Sharon and I give, call Katie Pellaton, my secretary up. I've given her permission to share our records.

You know why I say this? I believe in God’s word and I want to obey it. As the pastor, I need to set the example. But it's even more than that. Sharon and I also believe in COV and in our mission (make disciples) and vision (build bridgs). I want you to know that we support COV wholeheartedly, as do our leaders. My prayer is that you will as well. I love you guys. Stay faithful. Stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment