Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day #217: 2 Timothy 3:10-11



Paul laced his letters with encouragement, challenges, hopes, and affirmations for Timothy. In this last section before his closing remarks, Paul reflected on the significance of his and Timothy’s life together. Paul gave the consistency of his own example and the trustworthiness of Scripture as two dependable guides for Timothy’s future. Paul’s words and actions created a seamless pattern for the younger man.

After strongly denouncing the false teachers and their foolishness, Paul turned his attention back to Timothy, who could look at Paul as an example of living out the opposite characteristics of those described in verses 2-9. That Timothy “knew” about all the activities and characteristics listed here and in verse 11 does not necessarily mean he was an eyewitness. Some of the persecutions mentioned in verse 11 happened before Paul had met Timothy. But Timothy had heard about some of these situations; however, undoubtedly he knew others from personal experience. Paul’s words here are not proud; rather, they are a testimony to the truth of the gospel and God’s faithfulness, meant to encourage young Timothy. Paul was also using himself as a model for what Timothy should be doing in his leadership role in Ephesus.

Timothy knew the content of Paul’s teaching; it was the truth as opposed to the false teachers’ lies, myths, and godless arguments. Timothy had been privileged to hear Paul teach many times, to many audiences, on a variety of topics. Paul’s teaching would be of no value if it did not impact his life—but it did, as the following characteristics reveal.

Timothy knew Paul’s purpose in life, his central mission, his chief aim. Traveling with the tireless missionary must have quickly convinced Timothy of Paul’s single-minded focus on his mission. Paul never took that calling lightly.
Timothy knew Paul’s faith, love, and patient endurance. Paul called on Timothy to exhibit these qualities, for they are basic Christian virtues (1 Timothy 6:11). The word endurance can also be translated “steadfastness,” referring to a person’s ability to remain strong under pressure. Paul expected Timothy to model these same character traits in Ephesus.

Paul mentioned persecution and suffering to contrast his experience with that of the pleasure-seeking false teachers. These persecutions occurred during the first missionary journey. Paul had met Timothy at the beginning of his second missionary journey, but Timothy certainly had heard about these experiences. In 2 Corinthians 11:23-33, Paul had summarized his lifetime of persecutions and sufferings for the sake of the gospel.

In Antioch (in Pisidia), the Jews stirred up some people and Paul was driven out (Acts 13:50). In Iconium, they were mistreated and stoned (Acts 14:4-6). In Lystra, Timothy’s hometown, Paul had been stoned, dragged out of the city, and left for dead (Acts 14:19). At times, Paul had been miraculously delivered (Acts 16:25-26); at other times, Paul had to suffer through the persecution (as with the stoning in Lystra). To be delivered through persecution and suffering does not necessarily mean escaping from it; Paul knew that God would deliver him as often as needed until Paul’s work on earth was done. Indeed, Paul suffered in prison and certainly realized that he would be called on to face the ultimate persecution—death. Paul trusted God that his time had come, that his work was completed, and that he would see his Savior face-to-face.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

I read this passage today and I am humbled. I ask myself, what is it really costing me to serve our Lord. What price am I paying? What am I sacrificing? What am I doing without so others can have? I remember the words of David in 1 Chronicles 21:23-24 (NIV)

"Araunah said to David, "Take it! Let my lord the king do whatever pleases him. Look, I will give the oxen for the burnt offerings, the threshing sledges for the wood, and the wheat for the grain offering. I will give all this." But King David replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing."

Are you paying the full price? For each of us that "Full Price" looks a little different, but the principles is the same - am I serving? Am I sharing? Am i tithing? Am I sacrificing? OR, as life gotten to comfortable? Am I on easy street? Do I give out of my abundance or does it cost me - really cost me when I give or serve the Lord and others? Ponder these things today in your heart and mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment