Friday, August 13, 2010

Day #225: 1 Timothy 4:6-10

So What? (What will you do with what you read?)

Since Timothy was to share God’s truth to others, he was to have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales. The godless and the worthless go hand in hand and should be shunned. Instead, Timothy was to devote himself to much more manly pursuits. Paul introduced an athletic image with the words train yourself. The verb here is gymnaze, from which comes the English “gymnasium.” But Timothy’s training was to be for godliness, not physical fitness. Paul often used athletic analogies to drive home the need for spiritual discipline. As valuable as physical fitness may be and Paul did not disparage it, spiritual fitness, or godliness, is much more valuable. Physical fitness is profitable only, literally, “for a little.” But godliness is profitable for all things, not merely in this present transient life but in the life to come, that is, for eternity. Godliness colors all aspects of temporal and eternal life, bestowing its blessing on all it touches. To this end, said Paul, we labor and strive—that is, to develop the godliness of verse 8. Paul knew his struggle was worth it because his hope was set, not on himself, some philosophy of life, other men, or nonexistent gods—but in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe. Paul stated that God is the Savior of “all men” since He desires that all be saved and He provided Christ as the ransom to make that salvation possible.

The truth about training became especially personal this week. I have worked out everyday this week. As I sit here this morning, writing this blog, I can feel those workouts. Every muscle in my body is sore. Because of that soreness, I have to examine myself spiritual fitness. Do I train in godliness as hard as I do to get into shape? When I am working out I monitor my diet, sleep and activity. Do I pay that close attention to what I feed my heart, my soul. Listen to what Proverbs 4 says,

Proverbs 4:23 (NIV)
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

How well do you guard your heart? Jesus said that what comes out of mouth and life is the overflow of our hearts. That is focus of our spiritual training! So let me ask you a question, how is your training?

Make it Happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment