Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day #250: Psalm 16:1-2



Psalms 16:1-2 (NIV)
1 Keep of me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."


This psalm is a celebration of the joy of fellowship that David realized comes from faith in the Lord. The psalm may have been written when he faced great danger in the wilderness or opposition in his reign. Whatever its occasion, David was convinced that because he had come to know and trust the Lord as his Portion in life, he could trust Him in the face of death.

David reviewed how he had come to know and trust in the Lord. Verse 1 seems to summarize the entire psalm: Keep me safe, O God, for in You I take refuge. Then David developed the idea of his having taken refuge in the Lord. David announced his exclusive trust in the Lord. His statement of faith was, You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing (Psalm 34:10; 84:11).

SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

When I was training as an intern for the ministry at First Baptist Church in Modesto, we had an intern that was struggling. Set back after set back. Forgotten assignments, poor follow through, not much of a work ethic. The Pastor in charge of training the interns had a "come meet with Jesus" talk with the intern and asked him to leave the program.

The intern left the building, walked around the block and came back to the church and his statement was - "I have no where else to go -this is my home" These verses this morning make me think of that interns lament. The Lord is my rock. My refuge. My fortress. My all. Where will I go if I don't have Him? Where would I be if it weren't for Him?

This morning, make sure you tell God how grateful you are for His protection and provision. Make sure you open up your heart to the Lord this morning and tell Him that He is your God and that you will serve Him and Him alone.

I love you guys. Stay faithful. Stay the course. ENDURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment