Sunday, October 3, 2010

DAY #1: October 3, 2010



One of our greatest needs in life is to feel valuable, that your life matters, that you’re worthwhile, that you have significance, that you have value in your life. Because of this you’re constantly looking around and in your mind comparing and evaluating other people, comparing yourself to them. In our society we tend to base our self-worth on four things.

- We judge our worth first by our appearance. How do I look? If I look good then I think I must be good.

- Then we judge our worth by our achievement. What have I accomplished? How successful am I?

- Then we judge our worth on approval – our approval rating. How well am I liked? If a lot of people like me I must be ok.

- Then we judge our worth on our affluence. What do I own?

The problem with these four standards is that none of them are stable. They can all change. For instance, can your appearance change? Beauty fades. None of these things on which we normally judge ourselves are good judges of our self worth – your appearance, your achievement, your approval, your affluence.

Because our successes are surpassed by other people, our records are broken, our beauty fades, our possessions wear out and people we think love us, die or leave or abandon us or sometimes even reject us. So if you build your self worth on those things what are you going to feel about yourself when you’re old, ugly and broke? Not very much. If you want to build your self-esteem on something that lasts, you’ve got to build it on something that can’t change. And there’s only one thing that won’t change – what God thinks about you.

What does God think of you? Who I Am In Christ?

I am accepted...

I am God's child. John 1:12
As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ. John 15:15
I have been justified. Romans 5:1
I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit. 1 Cor. 6:17
I have been bought with a price and I belong to God. 1 Cor. 6:19-20
I am a member of Christ's body. 1 Corinthians 12:27
I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child. Ephesians 1:3-8
I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins. Colossians 1:13-14
I am complete in Christ. Colossians 2:9-10
I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ. Heb.4

I am secure...

I am free from condemnation. Romans 8:1-2
I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances. Rom. 8:28
I am free from any condemnation brought against me. Romans 8:31-39
I have been established, anointed and sealed by God. 2 Cor. 1:21-22
I am hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:1-4
I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
I am a citizen of heaven. Philippians 3:20
I have not been given a spirit of fear. 2 Timothy 1:7
I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me. 1 John 5:18

I am significant...

I am a branch of Jesus Christ and a channel of His life. John 15:5
I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit. John 15:16
I am God's temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16
I am a minister of reconciliation for God. 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm. Ephesians 2:6
I am God's workmanship. Ephesians 2:10
I may approach God with freedom and confidence. Ephesians 3:12
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

"The more you reaffirm who you are in Christ, the more your behavior will begin to reflect your true identity!" (From Victory Over the Darkness, by Dr. Neil Anderson)

Ponder these things today. Ask God to help you, day by day - moment by moment to see yourself as He sees you.

No comments:

Post a Comment