Sunday, October 24, 2010

DAY #22: October 24, 2010



Today starts week #4 of our spirtual growth campaign here at Church of the Valley. Let me ask you point blank - are you growing? Are you seeing God move in your life? If so, would you shoot me an email to let me know what God is doing? pastormike@covsanramon.org

I want to finish some final thoughts on pride and how to remove it from your life, so it won't be an obstacle to the work God wants to do in you heart and mind. Take two steps.

STEP #1. Admit my sins honestly.

That’s the starting point. First I admit my sins honestly. The Bible says this. “A man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful. [You want to be successful? A man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful.] But if he confesses and forsakes them, he gets another chance.” I like second chances. I believe of the God of the second chance. God says I like to give you a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance, a twentieth chance. That’s called grace. But if you’re full of pride you get no chance. God says I give second chances to the humble. But if you’re prideful and won’t even admit it you don’t get a second chance.

Romans 3:23 (NIV) says “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Can you admit that this morning? Romans 6:23 (NIV) says “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

STEP #2. Accept Jesus humbly .

Prideful people say, I don’t need God in my life. In contrast Jesus promises great blessings if we live with humility. “True humility and fear of the Lord [that means respect for God.] lead to riches, honor and long life.” How many of you would like to have that? Riches, honor and long life. He says there – humility. That’s the key.

Let me say it again. Pride is the sin that got Satan kicked out of heaven. It can keep you out of heaven too. Many of you, you’ve heard about Jesus Christ What has kept you from stepping across the line is your pride and your pride will keep you out of heaven.

John 1:12 (NIV) Says, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” You can’t get to heaven on your own – only through accepting Jesus Christ into your life.

Many of you are extremely successful people – men and women. You have made your success the old fashioned way. You’ve earned it. But you can’t earn your way into heaven. It’s just a gift. The Bible says it is by grace you are saved, not by anything you do. Not of works. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “It is by grace you are saved through faith not of works so no man can boast.” So nobody can brag about it. So nobody can be proud of it.

Would you pray this prayer? Dear God, all my life I’ve been taught to depend on myself. God, I realize that a lot of times I’ve done things I’ve wanted to do and I’ve been my own God. There’s been times I didn’t want You in my life or think I needed You in my life. I’m sorry. Today, I humble myself before You. I humbly say You are God and I’m not. You sent Jesus to be my savior. That means I need one. So I’m asking You today to save me, Jesus Christ. Not by my works or because I deserve it. But just because of Your greatness and goodness and love. Today, I’m saying Jesus Christ I’m humbling myself to follow You from this day forward. To be the person You want me to be. I humbly ask You to accept me into heaven. In Your name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment