Thursday, October 21, 2010

DAY #19: October 21, 2010



When else does God renew our mind?

#4. When we Obey Him continually!

Life is not a 50-yard dash. It’s a marathon. God doesn’t want you to just love Him some of the time – spasmodically. He doesn’t want you to obey Him for just a season of your life, but for all of your life. Psalm 119:112 says “I am determined to obey You until I die.” I love that verse, because it makes a declaration. It says Lord I am your until I stop breathing – until I am no more. Have you made that choice? I have made the choice that I am determined to obey God until I die. I pray you will as well.

Psalm 119:33 says “Just tell me what to do and I'll do it, Lord. As long as I live I'll wholeheartedly obey.” Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it – would you make that your prayer today?

Some of you are saying, “Why doesn’t God tell me what to do? I’ve been praying what to do in this situation.” I'll tell you why He hasn’t told you. Because you’re not already doing what He’s already told you to do. Why is He going to give you further revelation if you have not acted on the truth He’s already told you?

Philippians 3;16 says “We must be sure to obey the truth we have learned already.” The last three weeks in this spiritual growth campaign - THE ME I WANT TO ME, becoming God's best version of you - I’ve been giving you a lot of truth about faith. Have you acted on it? Have you done anything about it?

It's a head scratcher for me that I or anybody could sit through an entire message on obedience,faith, living for God - whatever and walk out and do nothing about it. But I know all of us are tempted to do just that.

So, as we close this devotional for today, let me ask you a couple of questions. What does your obedience to God reveal about your faith and love? Is your obedience to God immediate or delayed? Is it complete or is it partial? Is it joyful or is it reluctant? Is it continual or is it spasmodic? What do you know is the right thing to do but you’ve been putting it off? Where has your obedience been incomplete?

Why don’t you pray this prayer in your heart? “Father, there are many areas in my life where I know what You want me to do. I just haven’t done it. And I’m sorry. Please forgive me for my disobedience. I now realize that it was a lack of faith. I wasn’t trusting that You knew best. I ask You, Jesus Christ, to give me the strength to follow Your directions immediately, completely, joyfully and continually for the rest of my life from this day forward. I am going to trust You to fulfill all of these promises in my life. In Your name I pray. Amen.”

James 4:17 (MSG)
17 In fact, if you know the right thing to do and don't do it, that, for you, is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment