Monday, June 7, 2010

Day #158: Romans 6:5-7


BACKGROUND:

God’s plan along was that in Christ’s death, believers would also die (to sin and to rebellion against God). Dying to sin is a lifelong process. When we accept Christ and die to our old nature, we begin a life of continually dying to the enticements of the world and living to please the One to whom we belong. Also as Christ was raised, believers also will be raised from death to eternal life with God. What people do with Christ now will greatly influence what happens to them later.

The old sinful selves describe believers before they trusted Christ, people who were ruled by sin and rebellion. That old self was crucified with Christ—believers have died the same death as Christ when Christ was crucified. Why? This was the only way that sin might lose its power in people’s lives, the only way our sinful nature could be set aside so that God’s nature could live through us.

As a result, believers are no longer slaves to sin. Those who have accepted God’s gracious gift of emancipation will be able to participate fully in a new life of obedience. As slaves to sin, we are set free by Christ before we can begin to live free. The power and penalty of sin died with Christ on the cross. We are no longer slaves to our sinful nature; we can choose to live for Christ.
SO WHAT? (what will I do with what i have read today?)
When Christ died my old sin nature was crucified with Him. v. 6-7 "For we know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless that we no longer would be the slaves of sin because anyone who has died has been freed from sin."
Can you tempt a dead man? If you are dead in Christ then the temptation cannot have its affect in your life. Passages that explain this -- when Christ died, my old nature was crucified with Christ.

Ephesians 4:22. "You were taught with regard to your former way of life to put off your old self which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires to be made new in the attitude of your mind and to put on the new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." Your old man is your old lifestyle, the way you used to live, your old desires and habits and patterns.

Colossians 3:8-9 "But now you must rid yourselves of such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other since you have taken off your old self with its practices and put on the new self which is being renewed in the knowledge and image of the creator." All of those things are the old self.
Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body I live by the faith in the son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."

This is the truth taught all through Scripture:
1) I am identified with Christ, I'm in Christ. 2) If I'm in Christ, I died with Him and I was resurrected with Him.

If you're a follower of Christ - here is the truth - you do not have to sin any more. You can choose not to sin by the power of the Holy Spirit. I'm not saying you can be perfect. I am saying that you can choose not to sin. There are times in your life that you said, "I can't help myself. I just can't stop."
There were times in your life when you were a victim to sin. Before you became a Christian you had no power to stop, no power to change. You'd try to start new habits, and you'd fall off of them. Because you didn't have any power. Sin had a power over you. But now that power has been rendered powerless and you have been freed from the power. Why are so many Christians defeated by sinful habits? Because they're looking at the wrong thing. Instead of looking at the circumstance they ought to look at the cross where we are set free.
What do you need to be set free from today? Some addiction? Some bad habit? Anger, jealousy? Poor self-image? Doubt? Fear? Go to the cross.
I love you guys. Endure. Persevere. Stay the course.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite quotes from any movie is from gladiator. it goes something like what we do in this life echoes through all of eternity. As a reread this passage I noticed one very important aspect of how it was written. How many actions are we activley doing? 0 (1 if you count verse 7 when it says the one who has died, but even then personal death is in fain without the ultimate sacrifice). Its not about what we do, its about what has been done and is being done in our lives. It isn't "If you have united yourselves with him" its "If you HAVE BEEN..." Does that mean that there is no human responsibility in the matter,of course not. If that were true there would be no need for missions or having a personal quite time. I feel like we as Christians focus so much on who we aren't (ie. even though I am a christian I still fail in this one area of my life and theres nothing I can do about it) that we completely forget about who we are (ie. even though I struggle in one area of my life I know that God has given me the power to overcome it. We are victorious in Christ and we will be victorious in Christ. The bonds of sin have already been broken and they are still being broken. I don't remember who it was from but I was listening to a message online from one of those famous preachers. It was the story of David and Galiath. The preacher told his congregation that we have focused too much on the courage of David. we always see David as this extremely couragous little boy that faced the giant. The preacher then said that it wasn't David being the couragous one, it was everyone else in the Isrealite army. It would be a safe bet that most, if not all, of the Isrealite army knew that God was bigger than this "uncurcimsized Philistine" but David was the only one who acted on that knowledge. We know that God can handle our simple fears, but few act like they know.

    ReplyDelete