Friday, January 15, 2010

DAY #15: Joshua 3:9-13


It's interesting to me that when Joshua passed on the words of God to the people he did not disclose the promise that God gave him that he would be personally exalted by this miraculous event. Rather, Joshua told the people that this miracle (crossing the Jordan River at flood stage) would certify that the living God, in contrast with the dead idols worshiped by the pagans, was in their midst.

Further, besides opening a way across the flooded Jordan, the living God would also drive out the seven kingdoms of people inhabiting the promised land. The promise, "the living God is among you", became the watchword of the Conquest, the key to victory over the enemies in the land.

It is a promise that appears on almost every page of the Bible: “I will be with you!” It is a promise that still sustains the Lord’s people—the assurance of His presence. Since God is the Lord of all the earth (Psalm 97:5), He was certainly capable of getting His people across a river. If God is Lord over all the earth, He is certainly capable of getting you through whatever difficulty of life you are going through right now.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what i have read today?)

As I read this short passage today, I am reminded of Romans 8:31 (ESV) "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"

God is with us. God is for us. God wants to lead us and provide for us. God will make a way for us. He will never leave us or forsake us. He will never abandon us.

What do those words do for your soul? For me, in a world where friendships are so fickle, where people disappoint us and betray us - where disappointment abounds all around us - well, to know that God is with us is unbelievably comforting for me. I pray it is for you as well.

But more than just comfort, we are to draw strength and courage from this foundational truth. God is with me and will give me the words to say when I know I'm supposed to talk/share with someone about Christ.

God is with me when I have to go through the fires and trials of life. God is with me when I have to resolve conflict with another. God is with me when I have no prospect of a job. God is with me in my loneliness. God is with me when I fail and fall. God is with me wherever I go and He is with with me in whatever I do.

Ho will this foundational truth change the way you do business today?

No comments:

Post a Comment