Monday, January 25, 2010

DAY #25: 1 Samuel 16:14-23


As David was anointed by the Holy Spirit, that same Holy Spirit left Saul. This is evidence of the fact that the presence or absence of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament says nothing about salvation but only that His power worked in those whom God selected for service (Judges 3:10; 6:34).

With the departure of the Spirit of God, Saul became tormented by an evil spirit which God permitted to come. Whether this spirit had sinful or only harmful characteristics, it is quite certain that it was a demonic, satanic instrument (1 Kings 22:19-22). In his troubled state Saul could find relief only in music, so he commanded that a musician be found (1 Samuel 16:15-17).

In His providence, God arranged that David be the one, so the shepherd boy was introduced to the palace of the king. As God is prone to do, the Holy Spirit empowered this soon to be king - David - to drive away the evil spirit that overwhelmed Saul.


SO WHAT? (what will I do with what I have read today?)

This is one again one of those passages, that on the face of it at least, may not seem very fruit filled. But for me, it is a quiet reminder that God is in control and He has a plan. God always has a plan. When I don't think that God is paying attention, when I don't think God sees, when I don't think is working, he always is. I don't know about you, but I need to be reminded of that foundational truth.

Habakkuk 2:3 (TLB)says, "But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!"

When I read that verse, my heart grows patient. My vision is realigned. I once again am reminded to trust God and His ways. His ways are not my ways.

Isaiah 55:8 (ESV) says, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord."

What in your life today are you trying to "make happen?" What are you trying to manipulate and coerce? My encouragement for you - RELAX. God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment