Tuesday, December 7, 2010

DAY #2: December 7, 2010



WHAT ELSE CAN WE LEARN ABOUT GOD THIS CHRISTMAS FROM THE STORY OF THE PRODIGAL SON?

#2. The other thing we learn about this story that Jesus told is that God is passionate enough to show extreme love.

This story is probably my most favorite story of all the Bible. And my favorite verse in my favorite story is Luke 15:20 “The father saw him a long way away and he ran to his son.” Notice the phrase “he ran”.

It’s the only time in the Bible where God is pictured as running. What makes this even more interesting is that in this culture, during this day, men wore robes. So running in a robe, like a long dress, is difficult… from what I’ve been told. For him to pull that robe up and run with his bare legs showing in that culture was unheard of. It would be like a dad today running down the street in his underwear or something like that. It was just unheard of. But this was extreme love. This dad didn’t care. (Much like you who are dads who wear colored socks with short pants and loafers. You don’t care what other people think of you! Or you don’t have somebody in your life who loves you enough to tell you how idiotic you look!)

Why did he run? Because he was passionate enough to go to extremes to say to his son he loved him regardless of his past. Then it says in verse 20 he threw his arms around him and he kissed him. This is extreme love. He just came out of a pigpen. He throws his arms around him and kisses him.

And notice there is no lecture. He doesn’t say anything about the boy’s past. And in the absence of words he says a lot. In the absence of words he says everything. God communicates in silence. Those of you waiting for God to talk to you before you change, that he’s going to talk to you verbally or He’s going to match up some clouds for you or double your bank account and that type of thing. God speaks in silence. One of the things that I’ve learned is I never have to question whether God loves me or not. In not saying anything, He says everything.

In my moms last years, she had a hard time talking. When I had not seen her in a while, she didn't recognize me. But there were times she would remember – and her whole body is in her face, she’s trying to communicate, and she can’t. Her lips begin to quiver and then tears come. As she begins to cry I know enough about my mom. We had a great relationship when I was growing up. I love my mom very much and I know she loves me. Those tears communicate, “Michael Patrick Pedlowe, if I could jump out of this decaying body every neuron in my soul wants to hug you and love you and tell you I’m proud of you.” I don’t need the words to know what’s going on. Extreme love – that’s the kind of love that God has for us!

God is waiting for you. He's waiting to throw His arms around you and welcome you home. Don't delay. Come home home to him today.

I love you guys. Stay faithful. Stay the course. ENDURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment